|YOUTH DIVISION||ADULT DIVISION|
|1st prize||Tae Kim||Gwyneth Aggeler, Peter Segal Prize|
|2nd prize||Noah Richer||Thatcher Harrison|
|3rd prize||Owen Wang||YunZhe Lin|
|4th mention||Joseph Tollefsen|
From the left: Kevin cope (PCGS President), Noah Richer (2nd Prize Youth), Tae Kim (1st Price Youth), YouZhe Lin (3rd Prize Adult), Thatcher Harrison (2nd Prize Adult), Gwenyth Aggeler (1st Price Adult – Peter Segal Prize), Ross Mann (PCGS Competition Director)
Thanks again to our jurors!
Alice Artzt, Kevin Cope, Ross Mann, Behdad Moghadassi,
Emiliano Pardo Tristan, Lenny Ranallo, Jason Vieaux
- Some Jurors did not participate in all rounds.
The Philadelphia Classical Guitar Competition is part of the Annual Philadelphia Classical Guitar Festival.
There are two separate divisions:
1. The Adult Division is a national competition open to advanced classical guitarists of any age residing in the United States.
2. The Junior Division is a competition open to students age 18 and under residing in the United States.
|Adult Division||Youth Division|
|Eligibility||A national competition open to advanced classical guitarists residing in the USA.||A national competition for students age 18 and under.|
|Prizes||• 1st Prize – $1500, Peter Segal* prize and invitation to perform at the next PCGS Festival|
• 2nd Prize – $750
• 3rd Prize – $500
|• 1st Prize – $200|
• 2nd Prize – $100
• 3rd Prize – $50
|Application Fee||$75 – Includes admission to all Sunday Guitar Festival events and a one year PCGS membership.||$40 – Includes admission to all Sunday Guitar Festival events and a one year PCGS membership.|
|Repertoire||Free-choice: At least two contrasting |
selections (up to 15 minutes).
|Free-choice: At least two contrasting |
selections (up to 10 minutes).
There are three rounds:
> The Preliminary round – The jury will review Unlisted YouTube submissions and select up to 12 advancing competitors from each division. Entrants will be notified if they have advanced to the semifinal round no later than March 15, 2023 and invited to participate in the semifinal round in Philadelphia on April 22, 2023.
> The Semifinal round – will take place at 12:00pm, Saturday, April 22, 2023 at the
Philadelphia Episcopal Cathedral
19 S. 38th Street
Philadelphia PA 19104, US
> The Final round will take place on Sunday, April 23, 2023 during the 2023 Philadelphia Classical Guitar Society Festival at . Prize winners will be announced before the closing concert of the 2023 Festival.
Applications and recordings are due no later than
February 15, 2023 [11:59 pm EST]
GUIDELINES FOR ALL PARTICIPANTS
- The Guitar Society reserves the right to cancel any competition division and return student entries and fees if insufficient entries are received. Entries must be received no later than 11:59pm (ET) on February 15, 2023. Entries received after 11:59pm ET will not be accepted.
- Editing or digital manipulation of recorded entries is not permitted and will be sufficient reason for disqualification.
- Recording submission: Unlisted YouTube video submissions should feature both audio and video tracks. Entrants may submit separate YouTube videos for each selection, type the repertoire selection and composer in the YouTube video notes, or announce the selection and composer in your video. Please submit YouTube link(s) for the Preliminary Round on the initial registration form.
- The same repertoire must be performed in the Preliminary, Semifinal, and Final Rounds.
- Editing of recorded entries is not permitted and will be sufficient reason for disqualification.
- Prior first prize winners may not participate in the same division.
Questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
*Peter Segal was a prominent musician in Philadelphia and was a founding member and leader of the Philadelphia Classical Guitar Society in 1967. Along with performing in solo and chamber music programs throughout the region, he performed with a variety of ensembles including the Philadelphia Orchestra, Concerto Soloists, Opera Company of Philadelphia and Relache and also toured internationally. Peter Segal was also a well regarded teacher and scholar and founded classical guitar programs with several institutions including the Boyer College of Music at Temple University and the Philadelphia Musical Academy, Peter Segal was also a well regarded teacher and scholar and founded classical guitar programs with several institutions including the Boyer College of Music at Temple University and the Philadelphia Musical Academy.
ADULT DIVISION ~
Peter Segal Prize
2022 – Adult division cancelled
2021- Alan Liu
2019- Congyi Zhang
2018- Philip Goldenberg
2017- Benjamin Pasternak
2016- Bokyung Byun
2015- Thomas Pfefer
2014- Michael Gratovich
2013- Celil Refik Kaya
2012- Nikolay S Gavlishin
2011- Celil Refik Kaya
2010- Nikolay S Gavlishin
2009- Jarek Ervin
2008- Jeremy Llyons
2007- Edward Mann
2022 – 1. Jiasheng Shi
2. Vivian Wang
3. Owen Wang
2021- Andrei Orasanu
2019- Mia Gagliardi
2018- Everett Shen
2017- Oscar Somersalo
2016- Grant Lu
2015- Alec Holcomb
2014- Thomas Pfefer
2013- Peter Zarillo
2012- Chrisitan Sweger
2011- Peter Zarillo
2010- Chrisitan Sweger
2009- Alex Pollock
2008- Matt Weschler
2007- Kevin Meister